I am so happy you updated and I feel so bad about the stroller and yes am kind of crazy but maybe too crazy to notice.........I am glad things are going and just going. I have learned that going in motion is good - it is when it all stops that the other shoes usually drops......ha! On that note, while we were on vacation, we thought Logan had an ear infection - he had his tubes out in May when he had his tonsils out but his right ear has a permanent perforation where the tube used to be - since he has never had an ear infection I wasn't sure but I figured the brown goo coming out of his ear wasn't good. So while we were in Florida we took him to an urgent care facility who diagnosed him with an ear infection. We called our ENT in CT and he told us what to have prescribe. We did the round of antibiotics and it still didn't clear up. Since he has the perforation he does not have any pain. (Thank goodness) SO I took him into our ped who swabbed it for fungus and viral infection. It came back a staph infection, but oh no it couldn't be just a regular staph infection it is a MERCA Staph infection. Basically what it means is it is antibiotic resistant. The only good news is there is one antibiotic that still should work. Bactrim - it is an oldie but a goodie. He is on a 21 day course and if it doesn't clear 100% or comes back them we have to go to the infectious decease dept at CT Children's to get a pic line inserted (permanent IV) and give him into venous antibiotics for a while. Never a dull moment here. So we are on day 14 or so and all looks good so we keep praying all will go well and no worse for ware.
Ethan is doing well - he has been in camp for the last 4 weeks. 1 at vacation bible school, 2 at our Nature Center, and 1 at a local farm - next week we do a missions camp at church and then one more week at the Farm and then we are off to the Cape for a few days - Katie - maybe we can stop then? And then school starts on the 30Th - the summer has gone fast! Ethan has also learned to swim this summer. I have been taking him to an indoor pool since last winter for swim lessons - he was in level 1 forever and finally graduated to level 2 just before July 4Th - he is now in level 3 and doing stroke swimming - amazing! He had learned to ride a bike last year before it got cold but this year he demanded his training wheels back on - but they came off in June and he and Ben went and bought him a new bike for his birthday! He is speed demon now! No fear what so ever!
Logan has had school for 6 weeks this summer - next week is his last week and then he has camp for a week too. We had an Independent Speech _Eval done in July by a Speech Pathologist that specializes in fine motor speech disorders like Apraxia. (Logan's other diagnosis 2ND to DS) We are waiting for her report as we have not been so thrilled at the school's educational plan. Maybe this will help maybe it won't. I keep hoping for that darn EASY Button to show up! He is doing well - I always think that until I see his evals done by the OT, PT, and ST - most scores are poor or very poor skill sets..............He still has no formidable words- many approximations for words. He says Da for lots of words - it is the easiest consonant to say - hence why babies say da-da first. We are using hands cues to cue him for speech - if I cue him for and "m" he can say "mama". His main communication is still sign language but because his fine motor skills are slow to come many of his signs are wimpy, but we usually get the pictures and if we don't he usually promptly screams at the top of his lungs until he gets a reaction. In the Fall he will be assessed for an assisted technical device to speak for him until his words come. It is like a picture choice board that talks for him. He seems to be good at scanning for the pictures and choosing one. So hope that works. And Katie send some of that potty training dust to us - we are still working on it.........some days good others not so good. I now have 3 kids in diapers - Ethan still wears a night diaper to bed (Ben was a late bloomer here as well), Logan is in them and Megan too plus the formula we going to the poor house!!!! HA! He is still one dog gone happy kid who makes everyone smile! He just learned to jump and he jumps off everything! JOY! I have also been taking Logan to Aqua therapy classes every Wed for 45 at the same indoor pool. They have been going well - he seems to like them and it is great strengthening exercise for him. He learned on our vacation to swim with a like jacket on - he loves the water. I can't believe he is 4 - some days it seems like yesterday he was born and others it seems like he has been with us forever. This year is the first that I am going to attend the CT DS Congress Convention and we are going to walk in the Buddy Walk. I have never wanted to really participate much in DS activities - cause I guess in a weird I didn't want to see our future. For some reason - this year I have really come to grips with it - about time - he's 4!!!! and it is OK. I have joined several list serves and am getting alot of good information that is helpful. I am going to a family event with local families in a few weeks and that should be good. OK - enough about that!
Megan - cute as a button. Mostly she goes along for the ride - Bless her heart. She is a trooper. She is now 10 months old and crawling everywhere. She is also pulling up on everything she can get ahold of, she hates baby food and doesn't have a single tooth yet! What's up with that??? She is on the petite side - where the heck did that come from - 30% for her age. I am used to the boys at the 95% or off of the charts........She actually signed "more" today and I think "yes" . Yes I know she is brilliant:) HA!
Ben is doing well - still has bad days but the good ones are more frequent. The docs have weaned him off of some of his meds so that has helped and we just take it day by day. He likes his job but it is pretty demanding................and he has been traveling alot.
As for me - I have had the help of a babysitter some this summer which has helped. It gives me a little break or time to spend 1:1 with each of the kids. I have made some good friends in the neighborhood and it is pretty active. We have Flamingo Fridays (an impromptu party in a driveway a couple of Fridays a month), we have a girls night out the 3rd Wed of every month (we go paint pottery, go to a restaurant, movie, bunco, jewelry parties, spa nights, cooking demos, wine tastings, you name it we probably have done it........) and the guys have a poker night 1 Friday a month. I am also trying to scrapbook once a month at the local scrapbook store - I go with a couple of neighbors. I also have gone back to Weight Watchers for the umpteenth time and been going to Jazzercise at least twice a week. Lots of baby fat to get off. And the experts all lie - I breastfeed Megan for 8 months and the "Weight never fell off"! Maybe it was the all of the Oreo Cookies that jumped into my mouth that caused the problem:) OK more to say but gotta go......hugs to all
e
Friday, August 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment